Saturday, April 19, 2014

Favorite Beads: Czech Glass

Sari Silk and Glass Pendant by Bead Soup Jewelry

They’re gorgeous, affordable, and versatile - nobody does beads quite like Czech glass artisans. Today my guest is Andrea from Bead Soup Jewelry, who shares her love of these perfect and inspiring beads.

Inspirational Beading: What is your all-time favorite bead? Why do you like them?

Andrea: This might be cheating but my all time favorite bead would be anything Czech glass. There are so many shapes, sizes, and designs. You can really pull off any design with glass beads. I think that Czech glass has come so far since I first started making jewelry. The Picasso finished beads are to die for!

Inspirational Beading: What is your favorite technique or method to use them?

Andrea: I really like using the Czech glass beads to make knotted projects like necklaces and wrap bracelets. With a few strands of fire polished or druk beads you can make a really eye pleasing and affordable piece.

Inspirational Beading: Of all the creations you've made with these beads, which one is your favorite?

Andrea: One of my favorite pieces of jewelry made using the knotting technique would have to be this Woodland Knotted Necklace, I used a polymer clay focal piece that I made and a brass patina leaf charm. I use some vintage Lucite beads and wood beads to give this necklace more detail.

Woodland Knotted Necklace by Bead Soup Jewelry Owl and Glass Pendant by Bead Soup Jewelry


Inspirational Beading: Do you have any tips for making the most of these beads?

Andrea: To make the most out of your beads or to use them sparingly, I would break up a design by not using just Czech glass but put other beads in too. That will also give your jewelry character.

Inspirational Beading: What is your favorite bead or material to pair them with?

Andrea: I guess my signature pairing for Czech glass beads is sari silk, I use the silk in many cases for the back of a necklace or just simply in a bracelet.

Orange Pink and Seafoam Woodland Necklace by Bead Soup Jewelry


Inspirational Beading: If you were stranded on the moon, and you could have only one kind of bead with you, would you choose these? Why or why not?

Andrea: I love this question, yes I think I would take some Czech glass beads if I was to do some beading on the moon.. I would take these because I am so familiar with them.

Inspirational Beading: What’s your favorite method for storing your bead collection?

Andrea: I really don't have a special way to store my beads, they are just in little baggies in big plastic tubs, I love plastic containers, use them for everything. I guess its my way for looking organizer but not bring organized.

Navy Blue Wrap Bracelet by Bead Soup Jewelry

Inspiraitonal Beading:In your opinion, what is the best source for Czech glass?

Andrea: I really don't have a brand, Czech glass beads come from a hand full of manufacturers, and I really just buy them on etsy, and local. Czech glass beads are pretty common and everybody sells them.

You can see more lovely Czech glass jewelry designs at Bead Soup Jewelry on Etsy and on Facebook. Also check out Andrea’s blog to see new designs, and the latest additions to her supplies shop Bead Soup Beads, where you can find an amazing selection of Czech glass and handmade polymer clay beads and pendants.

Copyright 2014 Inspirational Beading and Bead Soup Jewelry
Subscribe to Inspirational Beading
Get inspired on Facebook and Google+


2 comments:

  1. Andrea is so right ! It is hard to beat Czech glass beads for their variety of styles, color, finishes and cost. Right now I'm deeply in love with their SuperDuos - fantastic little beads !

    The way Andrea mixes the Czech beads with other materials is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just wanted to say I enjoyed this post immensely. I too am a fan of Czech glass beads. I have used them throughout many years of my designing and creating jewelry. I agree with you Almost precious there is no way to beat their variety of styles, color, finishes and cost. This little list is my go to first selection that czech has to offer : Lampwork, crystals, glass pearls, Rhinestones, Metal findings, JBB findings and I also love the table cut beads. I do not however neglect the other options of Magnificent beads that Czech Beads have to offer at all. My bank acct. can attest to that fact.... lol.... http://jaacquelinesjewels.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Fire Mountain Gems and Beads

Inspiration Topics

accessories amulet Ancient Worlds Modern Beads animals April's Army art ArtFire astrology astronomy autumn awards awareness bangle beach Bead Inspired Bead Shops bead soup bead spotlight bead stash Bead Trays beaded beads beading theory beads belt bezel birthstones black blog spotlight blue boho bone book spotlight bracelet Bracelet A Week branch fringe brick stitch brown bugles buttons cabochon ceramic chain maille challenge charity chevron chain christmas collar Collections color Color Ideas color triads conservation craft shows crafts crochet crystals cuff Culled Beads current events Current Faves daggers Daily Sets daisy chain Delicas Destash drops Dutch spiral earrings Egypt Egyptian Gods embellishing embroidery environment etsy exotic fair trade fantasy fashion Favorite Beads Favorite Techniques feminine fibers film findings fire polish fixtures Flashback Test flickr inspiration flowers food found object free form fringe Geek Jewels geekery gemstones geography giveaway glass gold gray Greece green herringbone hex cuts history holiday home decor insects inspiration tip inspired beader Inspired by... Inspiring Links ivory Jewelry Stash knitting ladder stitch lampwork lariat leaf fringe leather lights literature loomwork macrame magatamas Master Class Medallions metal free metalwork Mini Collar a Week mixed media mixture Mood Board MOP multi-color multi-strand music natural beads nature necklace Necklace a Day Nepal chain netting New Beads ocean ombre orange paint paper patterns pearls pendant peyote photography Picasso finish pink Pinspiration PMC polymer clay poster sketch purple quick inspiration rainbow RAW red resin ring Ring a Day rivoli Rome Russian spiral scarf science seed beads shell silver soutache spiral rope spring square stitch St. Petersburg steampunk stringing stripes summer tagua TBT The Elements thread Tilas Time Capsule tools trade beads triangle weave tribal tropical turquoise tutorial two-hole beads Ugly vintage Wear it Twice weather white winter WIP wire wishlist wood World Beaders yellow
Blog Home * About * Beading Tutorials * Advertise

Learn About Sponsoring Inspirational Beading with Project Wonderful
Affiliated With ShareASale.com and Amazon.com